If I said you could burn an extra 735 calories/day and it didn’t include extra gym time would you call me crazy?
Don’t send me to the looney bin quite yet.
The way you can burn those extra calories without more gym time is by increasing your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), which is the energy you burn when you’re not exercising, eating, or sleeping.
Basically, it’s daily activities you perform that burn up calories like, sitting, standing, walking and fidgeting.
The opportunity to increase your NEAT is huge and is something you can implement right now, and for good reason: NEAT can account for 30% calories you burn every day.
Here are a few simple ways to increase your NEAT that may be new to you:
- Wash the dishes by hand rather than using the dishwasher (or in addition to it)
- Use the bathroom a couple of floors up (or down) at work
- Deliver a message in the office in person rather than using email
- Make phone calls on the move
- Hop on your foam roller or do some light stretching while watching TV at night
And now some oldies but goodies:
- Standing at work instead of sitting
- Park at the back of the parking lot rather than the front
- Sit on a stability ball rather than a standard chair
- Take the stairs rather than the elevator
- Fidgeting while standing (or sitting)
- Walk at a faster pace than usual
These ideas aren’t ground breaking. They aren’t a magic pill. But, making a few little changes like this each day can burn some major extra calories.
Increasing your NEAT is one of the simplest ways to lose fat faster without adjusting your gym time and without restricting your food further.
Anecdotally I’ve seen increases of 1000+ calories/day by implementing the NEAT strategies above. It’s safe to say, though, that a little fidgeting and a couple of power walks/week can help you lose fat faster regardless of the number we put to it.
Oh, and it’s free!
You can find the study I pulled from to get my calorie number HERE.
My new 21 Day Rapid Fat Loss Protocol goes into more depth on the topic and really helps leverage your NEAT to deliver faster fat loss without further restricting food or adding hours to your gym time. Want more info on the protocol? Shoot me an email to [email protected]